Thinking about setting up a nice area outside for your four-legged friend?
With a chain link dog kennel, you can hardly go wrong. They can be customized and attached to almost anything, making them excellent as outdoor kennels. Built out of strong galvanized metal they provide the excellent protection they are sturdy and will withstand the test of time.
The benefits of buying one?
When we first started to test out different models in order to find the best dog kennels for various scenarios and breeds. We quickly noticed that the chain link models had a few really nice benefits to them, something the other models lacked, customization.
Below are the main reasons why you should get your dog a chain link kennel:
- Customization, you can pretty much customize them as much as you want. Just move the panels around until the kennel fits your liking, yard size or your dog’s taste.
- Expanding is easy, you can buy additional panels in order to extend the size of your chain link dog kennel. Perfect if you get another dog or if your dog has outgrown his current private outdoor space.
- Excellent durability, chain link does not only provide you with a stable and durable pet pen. It also gives your dog great security and your dog will have a really hard time chewing his way out.
- Weatherproof, chain link metal kennels are 95% of the time made out of galvanized metal which means they can withstand heavy rain and storms without you having to worry about rust, which could be very dangerous for your dog.
- Housing options, since the chain link models are very customizable and you can pretty much place the panels as you please, that means you can easily add them to an outhouse or a larger dog house. That way your dog can move freely between these two, and seek shelter in case the weather turns bad.
Best chain link dog kennels
|Product||Overall Score||Size options||Assembly||Extra||Price|
|PetSafe||S,M,L||Multiple options to choose from.|
|K9 Kennels||L||Certified by the American Kennel Club, Swivel Bowl System.|
|Lucky Dog||M,L||Budget choice.|
|CCO Kennel||M||Top cover.|
If you want more information about each of the above chain link kennels, we have put together a summary of all the good vs bad things about every single one of them below. Keep on reading in order to find that perfect kennel for your dog.
Most of the products we tested are good and have a stable track record, but they all tend to fit some dogs better than others. So you need to be clear with what you want to accomplish by getting a dog kennel, before actually buying one. We have highlighted the strengths and weaknesses of each kennel in order to help guide you into finding what might be the best solution to your problems.
Petsafe boxed kennel – Our number one choice
1 used from $249.99
- Easy do-it-yourself assembly.
- The kennel is 7.5' wide by 7.5' deep and 4' high
- Pre-assembled gate included.
Petsafe’s boxed kennel is available in two different set of sizes and provides you with the option to add more panels to the fence if needed later on. It is a sturdy well-built chain link kennel for your dog that provides good protection, with a rust and weather proof design for your pals outdoor needs.
It can be attached to an outhouse or a larger dog shelter so that your dog can quickly and with ease move in and out between the kennel and the dog house.
- It is a sturdy and robust kennel, but you might need to get some ground anchors in order for it to stay in place. )Especially if you get a top-cover.)
- Serves both small and big dogs without a problem, but you might want another locking solution if you own a large dog breed.
- Easy to setup, but not a 1-man job. Make sure to have a set of helping hands setting it up as untangling the chain links can be quite annoying and time-consuming. Whilst all set up it will last you for years.
- Sold without roof or kennel-top so consider getting one to keep your pet out of the sun, and the rain.
K9 Chain link kennel – Customize it to fit any dog
- 8' X 16' Galvanized Dog Kennel
- Progressive Mesh 2" X 2" - 2" X 6"
- Mesh Goes Up Full 6' Feet
- Swivel Bowl System
- Large Access Door
Our second recommendation is probably the most customizable option there is out there, and it’s from MidWest Homes. A well-known brand within the dog community which delivers a good product for an affordable price. The best thing about this pen is that it is available in 4 different sizes: x-small, small, medium, and large.
It provides good security and is easy to put together, although if you’re unlucky the chain links might tangle a bit. Rolling out the chain link was what took up most time during setup. It comes with a top cover which protects your dog from the weather. A hint though is to use something else than the plastic strips to secure the top with. Otherwise, they might break during harsh wind leaving, or if you order the smaller sized version the dog might stick his/her head out.
- Very easy to assemble and the material used to secure the chain link will definitely stand the test of time compared to some other models.
- Available in a lot of different sizes ranging from 48”H x 48”W x 72”L to 72”H x 72”W x 120”L providing much space no matter the dog breed.
- Top cover included that protects your dog from the elements.
- Rust and weather proof clamps used to secure and tighten the fence.
- Stable frame, if tightened and assembled correctly. Make sure to really tighten around the edges to get a much more stable structure since there are no screws involved.
Lucky dog kennel – The budget choice
2 used from $199.42
- EASY TO SETUP - This chain link box kennel has a heavy duty steel frame that can be assembled by one person. The galvanized chain link roll will not kink or get tangled.
- GALVANIZED CHAIN LINK STEEL FRAME KENNEL - The Lucky Dog chain link box kennel is perfect for residential DIY use. Frame corners are welded before coating to prevent sharp edges and offers greater rust and corrosion protection.
- STEEL WIRE TIES INCLUDED - The Lucky Dog Enclosure Pet System includes steel wire ties for securing the chain link to the frame, not soft aluminum like other brands which can easily be removed by your pet.
If you are looking for a kennel that is nice to your wallet and can take the extra labor involved with setting it up, then one of the lucky dog pet kennels are a good choice for you. A fairly priced kennel that gives you everything you need to keep your dog safe, without the extras, except for untangling the fence which is a bit more complicated than some of the other pens we’ve reviewed. It is somewhat sturdy but you would probably feel more comfortable if you got an anchor to secure it tightly to the ground, just in case. Overall a decent cheap dog kennel that comes in a various amount of sizes so you can be sure to find one that will fit all your kennel needs.
- Bargain price makes it a viable option for those on a tight budget.
- Good options for sizing. Whatever your needs are, they got you covered.
- Strong and durable galvanized chain link.
- Great for use in harsh weather if anchored correctly.
CCO – A large kennel with great cover
- Cage size: 10'L x 5'W x 4'H
- Wire: Mesh size: 2.36 x 2.36 inch
- Super fast shipping from USA !
- Extra shipping charges to non-continental US states (including HI, AK, PR etc)
The CCO’s large dog kennel has a great top cover, with a triangular top it lets the rain pour down its sides if the weather turns bad. It also makes it roomier and your dog will definitely get the feeling that is larger thanks to the top covers design.
Good size and perfect if you have more than one dog that needs to fit inside the kennel. If you want you can buy another set of chain link and split the kennel up in two in order to accommodate a second dog without them having to be in it together. The spacious kennel also gives extra space for you to place a well-sized dog house within its perimeters without it feeling crowded.
- Large in size making it perfect for owners of 2 or more dogs.
- Easy to assemble, but the setup manual could have been more well-written.
- Great top cover keeping rain outside the kennel and prevents it from stacking up on top of it. It also protects your dog from the sun and helps in making the whole kennel more stable. Last but not least it is one out of a few that have been certified by the AKC (American Kennel Club).
- A good locking mechanism that locks your dog inside securely.
When not to use it
While getting a chain link dog kennel is a great idea, make sure you’re getting one for the right reasons. You shouldn’t be buying one if you are trying to solve any of these problems:
- Getting rid of unwanted behavior. Your dog will not start to behave differently just because he is stuck in a dog kennel outside. This could turn out the wrong way and increase the unwanted behavior.
- Not wanting your dog inside. It is a great idea to let your four-legged friends get a bit more fresh air. But dogs need company and especially if they aren’t used to be sitting in a kennel alone for too long.
- If your dog suffers from separation anxiety the chain link dog pen will only make your dog suffer more. Work with the problem before leaving her/him alone in the pen.
- If your dog is afraid of it. Before you get the tension out of the way your dog can really appreciate his new palace.
- As a punishment. You should never punish your dog by sending him/her to the kennel, this gives the kennel an unwanted bad reputation among your dogs. Instead make it a good, healthy and profitable habit for both of you.
When to use it
So when should you use the kennel and how should you use it. Well, kennels were made not only to keep your dog outside in the healthy air but to also keep them safe.
- To keep your dog safe while still letting him explore and interact with the outside world. Let your dog enjoy a breath of fresh air while still being a 100% sure that he is exactly where you put him.
- If your dog requires extra exercise then putting a larger pen in your yard will be a great solution.
- In order to keep a puppy safe when you cannot supervise it.
- If your family is expanding with a new puppy a kennel can be a great solution to help them get to know each other without you having to worry about any dangers that might be involved.
What to think about when choosing a chain link kennel for your dog
Considering buying a chain linked kennel for your dog is a great first step to creating an oasis of fun and enjoyment outside for your dog. However, it does take a bit of time weeding out the bad from the good kennels and you really need to think hard before making the final decision. Following are a few pointers to what you should
By now you pretty much know all you need to know about chain link dog kennels in order to pick the right one that suits you and your dog’s needs. You should be able to find something good within your budget, but we suggest that you think long and hard to what extent the kennel will be used and make a budget after that. If your dog is going to spend a lot of time in the pen then you will be better off purchasing one of the more expensive options, rather than going cheap and ending up with something that won’t hold up to your expectations.